Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Lamar Owen (lowen@pari.edu) wrote:

> > You haven't looked at the OpenOffice.org code.  <wince>
>
> Yes, I have.  Yes, it's steeper.

That seems rather odd to me.  I havn't really looked at the
OpenOffice.org code very much but generally I've found the PostgreSQL
code to be pretty well commented and generally well thought-out.  I've
also found the acceptance, understanding and hand-holding of the
PostgreSQL developers to be *better* than I've found in other
communities (such as the Linux kernel...) that I've developed and have
had code included in.

I havn't actually gotten anything real into PostgreSQL *yet*, but I've
been spending a fair bit of time on implementing support for SQL Roles
and have had alot of help developing the approach for best implementing
it (thanks Tom!) and help with stupid questions (what's a tuple?) from
a couple developers on IRC (thanks Neil!  thanks Andrew!).

So, no, I don't think the barrier to entry is all that steep, and it's
certainly not *too* steep by any means.
Thanks,
    Stephen