Re: Server instrumentation for 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Server instrumentation for 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 12 May 2005 13:04, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> > First, as some other msg states the views will estimate the sizes,
> > dbsize uses actual file sizes. Second, in contrast to CKL, I would *not*
> > use these fancy new system views, because they mean yet another
> > dependency for pgAdmin.
>
> <grin> I like that.  You're in favor of including the server tools because
> you, personally, use them.  You're against including the new system views
> because you, personally, won't use them.   Do I misunderstand you, or are
> you failing to put things in a broader context?

I think your mischarectorizing his position.  It's more like because he can
see a valid use case with the server tools, but doesn't see a valid use case
for the newsysviews.  Inciedentally I don't even know that he is really
against the newsysviews, but given that one of the use cases was admin tools,
and he has some experience in that area, he felt the need to debunk that
reasoning.  Personally I agree with that portion... if were putting them in
for admin tools, we don't need them.

--
Robert Treat