Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 5 May 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Actually, if the number of "split files" (whatever their names) increase
> even further, may I suggest they are moved into a subdir of their own,
> keeping just the main distribution and the README about the splits in
> the main dir?

the "main distribution" will just be postgresql-server-<release>.tar.gz

>>     postgresql-WTKS.tar.gz (with the kitchen sink) file
>> that contained
>> everything for those that really wanted to download "it all" ...
>
> That would be "postgresql-x.y.z.tar.gz", right? ;-)

Nope, postgresql-x.y.z.tar.gz will just be the core distribution ...the
WTKS will be the 'with the kitchen sink' meta distribution and would be in
the subdir that you propose above ... in fact, I doubt that the WTKS will
even be ready for the next release, as it will involve alot of work on the
build system itself, I would think ... the 'cascading configure's could be
interesting in itself ...

> Bottom line - make it easy for the *newbies*. Those of us who know
> exactly what we want will know where to look for it (say in a separate
> subdir). (or we'll just download the whole tarball anyway because that
> is *way* much more convenient... Speaking for myself there, of course.)

Note that "the whole tar ball" will give you the core server and that is
it ... the WTKS is a whole seperate project from what is being planned ...

What is being worked on right now is effectively reducing things down to:

postgresql-server (including libpq)
postgresql-<insert add on here>

----