Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 5 May 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>>> But packaging them as separately buildable tarballs that depend only
>>> on the installed core fileset (headers + pgxs) seems a fine idea.
>
>> I really can't see doing this without a better (i.e. CPAN / emerge / ports -
>> like ) build system.    Mind you, I'd really like such a build system, but if
>> we require users to manually download several separate tarballs and untar
>> them in exactly the right spot in the source tree, we're adding a bunch of
>> extra effort for both users and packagers.
>
> Uh, that's not exactly what is being proposed.  It would be a separate
> tarball that you could untar wherever you felt like, because it would
> not depend on the core source tree at all --- only on the files
> installed by a previous build of the core.
>
> I think Marc just suggested having all the PLs in one such tarball,
> rather than one for each which is what I was envisioning.

Nope, I should have shut up about this, actually ... all I was proposing
was an easy way for me (and nobody else) to do simultaneious tagging and
branching without having to check out multiple modules individually ... as
I said, I should have shut up about it, since its not something anyone
else would care about :)

----