Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 May 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> So it can be maintained with other PL languages as the internal API
>>> changes.  This is the same reason ecpg is in our CVS because it is tied
>>> to the grammar.
>>
>> Since when?  I thought you didn't need the PostgreSQL sources in order to
>> compile pl/PHP, only the installed headers/libraries ... Joshua, has
>> something changed, or did I mis-understand that requirement?
>
> The issue is that we have had to wack around the existing PL languages
> for almost every release to make them work with server changes, and
> being outside our CVS, plPHP isn't getting that whacking.

And the point is, as Tom has pointed out with tsearch2, that even *in*
CVS, it is a fair amount of work to 'whack' other ppls code ... it
shouldn't be Tom's responsibility (which is generally what it comes down
to) to keep someone else's code up to speed with changes in the server ...

----