Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Paul Argudo
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi all,

>>http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
>
> We'd link to the FFII instead.  They're a little more persuasive, and
> significantly more effective:
> http://swpat.ffii.org/papers/europarl0309/demands/0504/index.en.html

You can link both, those two organizations have / are about to merge:

http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=488

(and that was a month ago).

Just my two cents:

More than a month ago, I was the one asking here why there was no link to
an anti-patent organization onto the www.postgresql.org website.

Everyone here told me it as to be a personal involvement to clearly say we are
against patents, but that the Project itself couldn't be against patents because
it would involve PostgreSQL into Politics.

I really feel sad and sorry to read here it was really problematic for US part
of PostgreSQL project, I felt like the PostgreSQL project was more American
than International then, since American issues on that topic overrided others
arguments.

But I can understand that, I know over there problems are differents and so on.

As an independant non-profit organization, PostgreSQLFr asked its members wheter
to put static or not links to FFII & NOPATENTS. We just had 100% votes for, 0%
against.

Thats why since March 10st 2005 we have those two banners on our Website:
http://www.postgresqlfr.org/

Just to say that if the PostgreSQL project itself was claiming on its official
website that he is against software patents, this would make us even more proud
of the project here, in Europe.

Thanks for your attention.

Best Regards,

--