Re: argtype_inherit() is dead code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: argtype_inherit() is dead code
Date
Re: argtype_inherit() is dead code
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 03:39:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Digging in the CVS history, it appears that I may have broken it here:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/parser/parse_coerce.c.diff?r1=2.35;r2=2.36;f=h
> It's quite possible that it failed even before that however; I don't
> have a pre-7.0 server handy to check it on.  In any case, given the lack
> of complaints since 7.0, it doesn't seem anyone is trying to do this
> kind of thing.

Given the limitations of table inheritance, it doesn't surprise me that
nobody really uses it to implement object-oriented programs.

Is it really an important area to improve, or are there other priorities?
I know some people wished we had better support for inheritance, but how
strong is that wish?

"Para tener más hay que desear menos"