Re: Bug in DROP NOT NULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Bug in DROP NOT NULL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:17:40PM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >>I don't think that's a bug.  You may not intend ever to cluster on that
> >>index again, and if you try it will tell you about the problem.
> >

> >Except it breaks the 'cluster everything' case:
> >
> >test=# cluster;
> >ERROR:  cannot cluster when index access method does not handle null values
> >HINT:  You may be able to work around this by marking column "a" NOT NULL.
>
> Any further comments on this?  I still think it's a bug, ie. an
> invariant that's not being maintained...

I agree with your observation.  What sense does it make to allow marking
an index "clusterable", knowing in advance that it will error out at
cluster time?  None to me.

"La persona que no quería pecar / estaba obligada a sentarseen duras y empinadas sillas    / desprovistas, por ciertode
blandosatenuantes"                          (Patricio Vogel)