Re: plpython function problem workaround - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: plpython function problem workaround
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 01:40:23PM +0100, Marco Colombo wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Michael Fuhr wrote:
>
> >Hmmm...I think that would be inconsistent with previous reports.
> >For example, in the following message, the poster said that everything
> >(PostgreSQL, pgAdmin) was running on Windows 2003:
> >
> >http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2005-02/msg00066.php
>
> I'm sorry, he's wrong.

Wrong about what?  He reported that he was having the same problem
and that both client and server were running on Windows 2003.  Here's
his first message:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2005-02/msg00063.php

> The initial report was by Hong Yuan:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg00792.php

That was a different thread.  Same problem, but an earlier thread
that Michele apparently didn't know about until I mentioned it.

> later he clarified:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg00858.php
>
> "I am using pgAdmin III Version 1.2.0 under Chinese Windows XP, while
>  the database is 7.4.6 under Linux."

A problem with Windows <=> Linux doesn't preclude the same problem
from happening with Windows <=> Windows.  At issue is that pgAdmin
on Windows apparently adds carriage returns, and whether Python on
any platform doesn't like that (that's what we're still trying to
determine).

> BTW I just noticed someone else provided a simpler example:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg00876.php

That somebody was me.

> I have no idea of where Michele Bendazzoli ran that code. He's not
> the original poster, tho.

He was the original poster of *his* thread, the one with a subject
of "plpythonu strange syntax error."  He wasn't the first person
to report the problem, but his first message didn't reference any

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2005-02/msg00063.php

I'll postpone commenting on the rest until we find out how the
example programs run on Windows.  If nobody follows up here then
maybe I'll wander over to comp.lang.python.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/