Re: Question about encoding combinations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Question about encoding combinations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Why is BIG5 listed as not allowing UTF8 on the client, but you can
> have UTF8 on the server and BIG5 on the client?

Because BIG5 is a client-only encoding.

> Why can't you have UTF8 on the server and client?

Sure you can.

> Why can't you have MULE_INTERNAL on the server and client?

I think it should work, although I have no experience with that
encoding.

> Why can't you have UTF8 on the server and SQL_ASCII on the client?

Sure you can, but it doesn't make much sense, because SQL_ASCII is not
really an encoding.

> Since they all support UTF8, why can't we just allow any
> server/client combination?

Because not all encodings can encode all characters.  UTF8 doesn't help
that.

--
Peter Eisentraut