Question about encoding combinations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Question about encoding combinations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have updated the documentation on encodings to more closely match our
code, added descriptions, and a list of aliases for encodings.  I also
reorderd the lists to they were alphabetical.  Look here to see the
results:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/multibyte.html

Comments?

I have some questions about the second table:

Why is BIG5 listed as not allowing UTF8 on the client, but you can have
UTF8 on the server and BIG5 on the client?

Why can't you have UTF8 on the server and client?

Why can't you have MULE_INTERNAL on the server and client?

Why can't you have UTF8 on the server and SQL_ASCII on the client?

Since they all support UTF8, why can't we just allow any server/client
combination?  Is the problem with unicode ordering?

Pennsylvania19073