Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:47:17AM -0800, Ben wrote:
> Ho ho, flame on! :)
>
> My completely annecodal experience with devs which prefer windows over
> posix is that the former prods things until they seem to work and accepts
> unexplained behavior far more readily than the latter. Do I *really* want
> that kind of mentality in my database devs?

Of course not, and I don't think there's any risk of this happening. Are
you aware that every patch submitted for inclusion goes through a code
review? It's very insightful to see the discussion and mentality on the
-hackers list; data integrity is always the absolute number 1 priority.
Anyone who wants to code for PostgreSQL who doesn't share that priority
won't last long at all.

> Anyway, I think you have the focus wrong. It's not: "run our software on
> what we tell you to".... it's more: "we believe this platform is better
> than others, so we'll write our free software for that. But if you want to
> port it over to the platform of your choice, have fun doing that."

With the attitude of "Windows can not be made to reliably run a
database", how many developers do you think will be attracted?