Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:24:05AM +0000, Tope Akinniyi wrote:

> I am wondering at this display of extreme Linux mentality being
> displayed by the 'top bras' of the PostgreSQL community.  And I
> ask, are we encouraging Windows use of PostgreSQL at all?

I don't see the "extreme Linux mentality" you mention, and in any
case maybe you mean "Unix mentality," where "Unix" refers to a class
of operating systems that includes but isn't limited to Linux.
Subjects like "PostgreSQL still for Linux only?" are (mis)leading
because PostgreSQL runs perfectly well on other Unix-like systems
such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, and many others, to judge
from directories like src/template in the source code.  Linux is
popular, but it's NOT the only Unix-like operating system around.
Unfortunately the public is coming to equate the two, with the word
"Unix" often prompting the question, "You mean Linux?"

I will concede that a lot of tools in general tend to be written
for Linux, sometimes without regard to whether they'll work even
on other Unix-like operating systems.  But the PostgreSQL project
itself appears to care about portability, so the question "Still
for Linux only?" should really be directed at the third-party
software that some people find useful.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/