Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robby Russell
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 03:24 +0000, Tope Akinniyi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering at this display of extreme Linux mentality being
> displayed by the 'top bras' of the PostgreSQL community.  And I ask,
> are we encouraging Windows use of PostgreSQL at all?
>
> Take a look at tools being rolled out at PgFoundry on daily basis; all
> for Linux except the Windows installer.  I ask myself what is being
> done to encourage PostgreSQL Windows users.  Nothing is available to
> them except the Database and PgAdmin.  No replication tool, no this,
> no that.
>
> I was troubled when CommandPrompt, the leading Windows support
> provider responded to a post that their plPHP is for Linux only.
>
> Sorry for this:  Firebird provides equal tools for Linux and Windows
> users.  We are not the one to tell the Windows users whether they need
> them.
>
> Whether Windows is bad or good; Linux is the angel and Windows the
> devil is not the issue here. PostgreSQL has gone the Windows way and
> must not be shown to be deficient.
>
> I am not holding anybody responsible, but I think we need to do a
> massive re-orientation of the community not to carry the Linux-Windows
> game too far.
>
> Thanks.

It's about supply and demand. If enough people demand these tools to
work in windows, they will make it so. Often times, these projects are
started for various reasons and *nix has been the standard platform for
years. Windows is new to the game..and it'll take a while for these
tools to be *migrated* to the windows world.

It's not an evil conspiracy against windows..just like Linux users can
point out that there not enough games for windows yet. The demand isn't
high enough yet and as it increases..this will hopefully change a bit.

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com