Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Development Plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Development Plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon,

> > We're working toward PostgreSQL being indisputably the very best SQL
> > RDBMS in the world.
>
> Hmmm, interestingly, that is not my objective. *Most-used* is both a
> sufficient and eventually realisable goal for me to contribute towards.
> Best seems like a niche, and not always a cost-effective one.

Well, we have different goals then; I personally think that best quality and
most-used may be mutually exclusive.   Examine, for instance, the broad
popularity of Microsoft Access ...

> > Yep.  And commercial vendors ship releases whether or not that release is
> > stable or actually contains the features advertised.
>
> Hmmm. Well, companies differ, lets say that.

Yeah, I should have said *some* companies.

> > That's not a small order, if we want to do it right.    Why don't you
> > prepare a Faq-ish page that covers these issues based on the responses
> > you've received on this thread?  I can add it to the Press FAQ.
>
> OK, well I was hoping that one-of-Core, not necessarily yourself, would
> be the one to put pen to paper on such an issue.
>
> ...but, I guess I'll have a stab at it.

<grin> you're still thinking of Core as "Authority" in the project.   We're
only authoritative when it comes to releases.   Otherwise, you are just as
qualified to write the thing as me ... and more likely to get it done sooner.
Face it, Simon, you are a "member" now.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions