Re: Some download statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Some download statistics
Date
Re: Some download statistics  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Troels Arvin <troels@arvin.dk> writes:
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:35:57 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Frankly, I'd suggest dropping the splits. Thoughts?
>
>> I also found the split sources + a non-split sources version to be
>> confusing. As you, I think that splitting should be dropped.
>
> Perhaps the confusion issue could be addressed by keeping the split
> sources in a separate subdirectory:
>
>     pub/source/v.8.0.1/
>         postgresql-8.0.1.tar.bz2
>         postgresql-8.0.1.tar.bz2.md5
>         postgresql-8.0.1.tar.gz
>         postgresql-8.0.1.tar.gz.md5
>         split-tarballs/
>             postgresql-base-8.0.1.tar.bz2
>             postgresql-base-8.0.1.tar.bz2.md5
>             etc...

That sounds like a reasonable compromise ... I could do that right away,
if nobody is in disagreement ... ?

> I suspect the demand for the split tarballs is mighty low nowaways,
> but it's probably not zero yet.

Considering that every new FreeBSD install uses them exclusively, I don't
expect it to drop to zero in the near future ..

> Also: I notice that the README file that's supposed to tell people about
> the split-tarball scheme is not present in any of the recent-version
> subdirectories, so it's no wonder that they are confused.

Actually, its never  been ... just  checked, its in the root directory ...
but, with that in mind, I've added putting a copy in there to the release
script ...

----