Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 23 January 2005 05:23, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > So are we looking at a 8.1 in June and a 8.2 in say August of 2006?
> >
> > Or something else?
> >
> > I know that it is hard to completely pin these things down but it would
> > be really
> > helpful :)
>
> I really don't know why this short dev cycle thing keeps coming back...
>   People don't want to upgrade their major production database servers
> every 6 months.  It'll be 6 months at my work before we move off 7.4,
> and that's only because they have a reasonable postgres expert onsite
> (me)...

Because there is a strong desire to get rid of ARC ASAP.  Which I am
comfortable with IF there is an agreement that 8.1 wont require an initdb.  I
certainly can't take down my production servers for the amount of time needed
for dump/reload, so if that is going to be required then I'm sure we'll not
do an upgrade until 8.1 is released, and I'd imagine a lot of others would
fall into this as well.

--
Robert Treat