Re: URGENT: Using function inside query - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: URGENT: Using function inside query
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:51:01PM -0600, Bradley Miller wrote:

> select account_id from roll_account(1186) where hierarchy_type_id = 2
>
> The problem is I have data like this:
>
> account id    name
>
> 1    Company A
> 2    Company B
> 3    Company C
> 4    Person 1 (in Company A)
> 5    Person 2 (in Company A)
>
> If I pass it the number of let's say Person 2 -- the above query wold
> give me the account id of 1.    How can I do a query using that
> function so that it automatically inserts the account_id to show the
> "rolled up" account id ?

I'm not sure I follow -- what account_id are you trying to insert
and where are you trying to insert it?  Do you want something like
this?

SELECT account_id
FROM roll_account( (SELECT account_id FROM account_info WHERE name = 'Person 2')
)
WHERE hierarchy_type_id = 2;

If that's not what you're after then please provide an example of
the kind of query you'd like to make and what results you expect.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/