Re: ARC patent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ARC patent
Date
Re: ARC patent
Re: ARC patent
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:14:31AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I don't think it needs to delay the release; the patent is only pending.
> > But we need to look into the problem.
>
> What will you do if the patent is granted, 8.0 is out there with the
> offending code, and you get a cease-and-desist letter from IBM
> demanding the removal of all offending code from the Net?  The code
> would have to be yanked from CVS &c., in that case, no?  (IANAL, but
> I think I may consult with one.)

We can modify the code slightly to hopefully avoid the patent.  With the
US granting patents on even obvious ideas, I would think that most large
software projects, including commercial ones, already have tons of
patent violations in their code.  Does anyone think otherwise?

However, I will grant that ARC is not an obvious idea.

Pennsylvania19073