Re: Solutions Linux 2005 Feb 1,2,3 Paris - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Paul ARGUDO
Subject Re: Solutions Linux 2005 Feb 1,2,3 Paris
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> > french non-lucrative association (french 1901 law for
> > non-lucrative associations)
>
> Wow, is this done?   It must be *much* easier in Europe.

We writed the legal stuff, we're about to give it to the fr administration for
validation process. Yes, its easy to do, but gives much work to us.

> > 1 or 2 posters as a minimum,
>
> I can't ship you a banner; we only have one and it would cost almost as much
> to ship as to reproduce.  However, we have a banner *design*, formatted for
> the standard sizes available at Kinko's.    We produced a 3' x 6' banner (i
> think) for $150 here; I'd imagine the cost would be similar in Europe.

Well, can you send me any url or the banner design?... I would show it to my
local press printer to have an idea of the cost.

More over, it would be great if we have our own banner for such exhibitions in
europe. It would avoid yours to cross the ocean multiple times :)

> > anything else? Like TShirts for example?... Books?
>
> I can send you t-shirts for the volunteers (how many?) and a couple copies of
> Kerry Douglas' book, in English.   Please give me a headcount ASAP as I leave
> town in one week and then won't be able to ship anything until January.

Lets say it would be great if we have something like 6 tshirts for the
volunteers.

> The other really cool thing to do would be to create bootable PostgreSQL CDs
> in French and hand them out.   Talk to Robert Bernier about how he created
> the English ones featuring 7.4.   And keep in mind that we handed out 700 of
> them at Linux World Expo, so you'll want to have quite a few.

Oh yeah :)...

Lets burn some toasts then! :) we had that idea too, to have a "marketing"
oriented CD. Bootable, with PostgreSQL and so on. We would put all the docs,
examples, links... sources... everything we can grab.

> You should also create a flyer (with the help of this list) on 8.0 or on
> PostgreSQL in general and print several hundred.

Yes. We have to do that, lets say a recto-verso A5 page (~half US letter) to
present who we are, what we do.

> How big is this convention?

for the last 5 years, there have been about 12.000 visitors each year. Its the
biggest afaik in France.

> I'm happy to help.   I've done about 8 booths at this point.    The most
> important thing is to make a list NOW of what you'll need/want, how long
> they'll take, how much they'll cost, and who's responsible.    I'd even
> suggest creating this list as an OOo doc and putting it up on the "press"
> project on pgFoundry, where the 8.0 releases are, so everyone can share it.

Ok. I'll try to do such then.

Thanks for your valuable help! Thanks a lot.

Ah, maybe Bruce&Jan could bring up a little stuff too? Since they will be here
talking about RDBMS session?

Just an idea.

Cheers,

--