Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02
Date
Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:17:29AM -0500, alex@pilosoft.com wrote:

> I put a version of code with a bit more fixes from comments onlist to
> www.pilosoft.com/PgSPI/DBD-PgSPI-0.03pre.tar.gz

After correcting the path (no directory) I downloaded this and it
built without changes on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE and Solaris 9, both
running PostgreSQL 8.0.0rc1 and Perl 5.8.6.  However, something
changed since 0.02 that broke queries on FreeBSD (but not on Solaris).
Here's an example:

CREATE FUNCTION test() RETURNS INTEGER AS $$
use DBD::PgSPI;
elog INFO, "DBD::PgSPI $DBD::PgSPI::VERSION";
my @row = $pg_dbh->selectrow_array("SELECT 12345");
return $row[0];
$$ LANGUAGE plperlu;

If I install DBD::PgSPI 0.02 I get this:

SELECT test();
INFO:  DBD::PgSPI 0.02test
-------12345
(1 row)

If I disconnect, install DBD::PgSPI 0.03pre, then reconnect and run
the same query, I get this:

SELECT test();
INFO:  DBD::PgSPI 0.03pretest
------
(1 row)

Any idea what might have changed between 0.02 and 0.03pre that would
affect some platforms but not others?

A few other comments:

The README file says that "plperl is NOT part of latest (7.1)
distribution...".  The latest release is now 7.4.6 with 8.0.0
coming soon, and both include plperl.

The TODO section in the README file has items for "Support for
returning rows and sets of rows" and "Support for writing trigger
handlers."  In 8.0 PL/Perl has these capabilities.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/