Re: Alternatives to Dell? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Frank Wiles
Subject Re: Alternatives to Dell?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:24:12 -0800
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A lot of people have been having a devilish time with Dell hardware
> lately.  It seems like the quality control just isn't there on the
> Dell servers.

  I believe I had expressed some problems with Dell in the past, but
  it really isn't a quality control issue that I have seen.  It is more
  of a Linux support issue.  Lately I've been running into problems with
  getting particular parts of system working under Linux (raid cards,
  SATA drives, Ethernet cards) or I can get it working, but it
  performs badly ( PERC cards vs say a Mylex card ).

  I think it's more of a system design issue ( wrt Linux use ) rather
  than a quality issue.

   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org