Re: [dspam-users] Postgres vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Clifton Royston
Subject Re: [dspam-users] Postgres vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:14:18PM +0100, Evilio del Rio wrote:
> I have installed the dspam filter
> (http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam) on our mail server
> (RedHat 7.3 Linux with sendmail 8.13 and procmail). I have ~300 users
> with a quite low traffic of 4000 messages/day. So it's a quite common
> platform/environment, nothing spectacular.
>
> First time(s) I tried the Postgres interface that was already installed
> for other applications.  Whenever I begin to train and/or filter
> messages throug dspam the performance is incredibly bad. First messages
> are ok but soon the filter time begins to increase to about 30 seconds
> or more!
>
> ...so I looked for some optimization both for the linux  kernel and the
> postgres server.  Nothing has work for me. I always have the same
> behavior. For isolation purposes I started using another server just to
> hold the dspam database and nothing else. No matter what I do: postgres
> gets slower and slower with each new message fed or filtered.

I know *somewhere* I recently read something indicating a critical
configuration change for DSPAM + Postgres, but don't think I've seen it
mentioned on this list.  Possibly it is in the UPGRADING instructions
for 3.2.1, or in a README file there.  At any rate, it mentioned that
it was essential to make some change to the table layout used by previous
versions of DSPAM, and then Postgres would run many times faster.

Unfortunately I no longer have 3.2.1 installed on my system, so I can't
tell you if it was in there or somewhere else.

  -- Clifton

--
          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect