Linux Journal references, December 2004 issue. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lamar Owen
Subject Linux Journal references, December 2004 issue.
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I got a substantial surprize reading the LJ for Decmeber.  Let me ennumerate:
1.)    On the COVER, 'Making the most of manufacturing with RTLinux and
PostgreSQL.'  The article on pages 44-47 makes the following statement (p47)
"The SmartPress program stored the gathered data in a PostgreSQL database.
PostgreSQL is also our enterprise backend database.  So, future application
development will make SmartPress data visible in enterprise applications
across the company."  Company is Midwest Tool & Die.

2.)    Doc Searls' column, Linux for Suits, on page 48: "...open-source suspects
outside the familiar LAMP list of Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Python,
and PostgreSQL."  This is major, IMO.    I guess the tagline 'building a better
LAMP...' has caught some eyes....

3.)    The open-source learning management article on page 66, about the Moodle
project, mentions thatit works on MySQL, but PostgreSQL can also be used.
This highlights that we are now a desired compatibility option for some
projects (now if SugarSales CRM worked with PostgreSQL I'd be a happy
camper...)

4.)    Robert LeBlanc's article 'Beating Spam and Viruses with amavisd-new and
Maia Mailguard' on pages 84-88 (he is the author of Maia Mailguard) mentions
that Maia works with either MySQL or PostgreSQL.

A good month for PostgreSQL, at least in LJ.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology