Re: SpreadFirefox - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: SpreadFirefox
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 08:34, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> Perhaps we could join in directly? Kind of an alliance thing....Josh?
> >>
> >> How about a "PostgreSQL Development Community" supports Firefox?
> >
> > What does PostgreSQL have to do with Firefox? They are OSS projects
> > that cater to _completely_ different groups of users, share no code,
> > and share no common history.
>
> If Firefox decided to drop the XML configuration storage approach in
> favor of using a (perhaps quasi-embedded, in the way it _could_ be
> done) PostgreSQL instance, that would be a good excuse.
>
> And this would be a most interesting application of PostgreSQL; there
> are plenty of cases of data storage:
>  - Configuration data
>  - History
>  - Cache
>  - Bookmarks
>  - Icons and such
>
> What would be equally or more interesting would be to build a "back
> end" for either the GNOME or KDE config schemes that would use
> PostgreSQL in lieu of the hordes of little XML files.
>
> But as you say, there's not really anything in common now...

Well, I have seen at least one review of mozilla which cribbed about not easy
to administer in enterprise environments where everything is controlled by a
domain controller. Storing a database could be a start for the mozilla.

But which database and why remains open to discussion..:-)

 Shridhar