Re: Server unreliability - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Server unreliability
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:08:03PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Bruce, we met in Manhattan for your NYPHP presentation - I
> > > was the lone PostgreSQL cheerleader in the back ;-)
> > >
> > > You ask for proposals, no matter how radical, so here goes:
> > >
> > > o  Location of servers
> > >
> > > Pending bandwidth requirements, I am willing to sponsor hosting
> > > of these sites, possibly on dedicated hardware.  But I need some
> > > ideas of bandwidth usage so I can figure out which strategies
> > > make the most sense financially.  BTW be glad your servers are
> > > not in Florida, I have one client that is in a significant
> > > amount of pain right now.
> >
> > The server location is not changing, but thank you for your offer
> >
> > > o  FreeBSD
> > >
> > > I'm agnostic in this regard, but have experienced that Linux
> > > distros seem to be the easiest to maintain (Debian, Fedora).
> >
> > Again, operating system isn't changing, but thank you for your
> > offer ...
>
> I assume you mean "not changing" while you are administering the
> servers.  I don't remember any community agreement that the current
> setup was permanent, and my thinking now is that all avenues are
> open for exploration.
>
> I am not ready to dismiss this offer/idea.

Bruce, it isn't just you who finds this airy dismissal ridiculous.  In
fact, the only person who's acting like this is dismissed out of hand
is Marc.

Marc, you've been a great contributor to the community, but lately,
you've gotten quite severely off track.  You can continue to help by
straightening up and flying right, but you are, as you have been
reminded publicly in the past, *not* the dictator on this project.
You are not indispensable, and if you continue to pull this nonsense,
you *will* be dispensed with.

Sincerely,
David.
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!