Re: Server unreliability - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Server unreliability
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
>
> > Hi Bruce, we met in Manhattan for your NYPHP presentation - I was the
> > lone PostgreSQL cheerleader in the back ;-)
> >
> > You ask for proposals, no matter how radical, so here goes:
> >
> > o  Location of servers
> >
> > Pending bandwidth requirements, I am willing to sponsor hosting of
> > these sites, possibly on dedicated hardware.  But I need some ideas of
> > bandwidth usage so I can figure out which strategies make the most
> > sense financially.  BTW be glad your servers are not in Florida, I
> > have one client that is in a significant amount of pain right now.
>
> The server location is not changing, but thank you for your offer ...
>
> > o  FreeBSD
> >
> > I'm agnostic in this regard, but have experienced that Linux distros
> > seem to be the easiest to maintain (Debian, Fedora).
>
> Again, operating system isn't changing, but thank you for your offer ...

I assume you mean "not changing" while you are administering the
servers.  I don't remember any community agreement that the current
setup was permanent, and my thinking now is that all avenues are open
for exploration.

I am not ready to dismiss this offer/idea.