Re: pg_locks view and user locks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_locks view and user locks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Second,
> Is there a reason why user level locks are completely undocumented?
> AFAICT, There is no mention of them in anywhere in the docs,
> particularly 12.4, which describes methods for application managed
> concurrency.  The availability of cooperative long term locks is
> (IMO) a really nice feature, particularly for people porting legacy
> applications which depend on explicit locking (there is some good
> info in the user lock module which is unfortunately under the GPL).

That's the whole problem.  I don't think anyone objects to the user lock
principle, but as long as it's GPL, we won't support it.  It was
probably a mistake to accept this module in the first place.  I believe
some people have been trying to get the module relicensed, but that
evidently never happened.

--
Peter Eisentraut