expected trigger behavior in transactions - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Noah Davis
Subject expected trigger behavior in transactions
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

Forgive me if this isn't directly a JDBC issue.

I have some triggers setup in postgres that are triggered before inserts. They are pretty basic triggers. They update some columns and then continue on with the insert.

We have some java code which starts a transaction (sets auto commit to false) and then performs some inserts. If successful, it commits the transaction. Sometimes, it appears like the trigger is fired but does not commit. Is there a separate connection context for triggers? Do I have to worry about how triggers work within a transaction? If I commit/rollback an insert, does it commit/rollback the triggers which were fired?

It seems like when I do the steps directly in postgres, the triggers are fired appropriately if in a transaction. However, within Java, in some cases the triggers either aren't fired, or are fired, but do not commit when jdbc commits. Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks for any help,

Noah
Noah Davis
636 Broadway, Suite 516