Re: URGENT pg_xlog full impossible to restart ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hervé Piedvache
Subject Re: URGENT pg_xlog full impossible to restart ...
Date
Re: URGENT pg_xlog full impossible to restart ...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
OK it's running again many thanks ! :o)

But Tom ... could you clearly explain me what is the parameter to set in the
postgresql.conf to never have my pg_xlog partition's going full ??

I have 1.8 Gb dedicated to pg_xlog and I have set those options :
checkpoint_segments = 3 # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
checkpoint_timeout = 300    # range 30-3600, in seconds
#checkpoint_warning = 30    # 0 is off, in seconds
#commit_delay = 0       # range 0-100000, in microseconds
#commit_siblings = 5        # range 1-1000

And I was only creating an index ...

I'm a little disapointed !?

regards,

Le dimanche 18 Juillet 2004 00:19, Tom Lane a écrit :
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Hervé_Piedvache?= <footcow@noos.fr> writes:
> > Tom,

> >> ... so free up some space ...
> >
> > But my pg_xlog partition is dedicated to the WAL files ... so I can't
> > delete them ??
>
> Sure you can; all you need are the one(s) that the postmaster will try
> to read at restart.  Since your log excerpt shows a clean shutdown, the
> only one you actually have to have is the one containing the shutdown
> checkpoint record, which is probably the one with the latest file mod
> time (but check against the checkpoint position shown in the log).
>
> > So pg_resetxlog -f /usr/local/pgsql/data ??
>
> That would work too.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Bill Footcow