Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Nobody would be required to upgrade to a new minor release either ...
> nobody is *require* to upgrade to any release, for that matter ...

Most people don't have the time to investigate release notes, release
policy details, etc.  When there are bug fix updates, you use them.
When there are feature updates, you use them for the next installation.
Anything in between, or more variations added to that, just cause
confusion.  And frankly, for the examples thrown around that use this
kind of policy, I can't see those as being very successful.  I don't
want to use a "stable" branch of a database system that still changes
for random reasons.  And I don't want a "current" branch that takes
years to finalize.  More frequent major releases, to the point that we
can stem it, lead to more people getting more features earlier, which
is good.  Any of the other proposal just make things worse in my mind.

--
Peter Eisentraut