Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)
Date
Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> The nice thing about doing something lke that is those small features
>> would get a degree of testing happening in a live environment ...
>
> Of course that last sentence is the downside too --- people don't want
> to have to retest their setups after a minor release upgrade.

Nobody would be required to upgrade to a new minor release either ...
nobody is *require* to upgrade to any release, for that matter ...

Hell, when we have a client that comes to us with a problem, we don't
recommend upgrading unless we find something in the RELEASE NOTES to
indicate something has been fixed related to their problem ... it isn't a
automatic "well, upgrade to the latest stable first, and then we can help
you" ...

God, we still have clients using 7.2 servers, cause they've had no reason
yet to upgrade to the latest ... "it works, why upgrade?" is generally the
opinion ...

----