Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Subject Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?
Date
List pgsql-general
Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:

> jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) writes:
>
> > Oh, if you're accepting punctuation nits ;), in most cases, the comma
> > should come after "but," not before it.  So your sentence should read
> > "PostgreSQL will run on almost any hardware but, if you are..."
>
> Wrong.  :)
>
> You are sentenced to go read Strunk and White again.

I stand corrected.  I always used to put the comma before "but," but
changed after reading somewhere, or thinking I had, that was incorrect
for certain sentence structures.

Neither of my style guides supports what I said earlier, so I cannot
imagine whence I got that idea.

Jim