Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?
Date
Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?  (jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour))
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:32:15AM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:

> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> > Should I add an FAQ discussing hardware selection and the importance of
> > reliable hardware?
>
> Scary to think that people who don't know enough about running a proper
> server, and thus have to be *told* this, are admin'ing databases.

Maybe it's scary for people in the US or the western/wealthier Europe.
But people also live in other parts of the world (I could even mention
that real people do live in places like Iraq and they even have
computers there).

For us rest-of-the-worlders, it's not always possible to get top of the
line hardware.  I am somewhat lucky because I live in a country where
people can afford an UPS.  Some people are not.

Of course you can talk about the value of the data and how much good
hardware can help you not lose that data -- but truth is, people need to
make an economical analysis on the worthiness of such protection, and
while some of them will be able to afford redundant battery backed SCSI
RAID controllers, some others won't be able to buy an UPS.

So I think it's a good idea to mention that better hardware can be
helpful.  But don't make that sound like if you don't have it, it's the
end of the world or the admin is an uneducated moron.

"Hoy es el primer día del resto de mi vida"