Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal 11). - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Cashell
Subject Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal 11).
Date
List pgsql-general
At Wed, 30 Jun 04, Unidentified Flying Banana Tom Lane, said:
> Christopher Cashell <topher-pgsql@zyp.org> writes:
> > 28424 postgres  18   0 16804 3044  15m D  0.0  1.6   0:06.72 postmaster
>
> > Note that it does have a process status of 'D', or uninterruptible
> > sleep.  That would explain the unkillable part, though I'm curious how
> > it ended up there.
>
> Perhaps I'm just of an older generation, but I always thought 'D' meant
> "disk I/O wait".  Which definitely is uninterruptible on most Unixen.

I've always heard it as 'uninteruptable sleep', which I understood to be
the generic term description, and that 'disk I/O wait' is the most
common cause for it (but not the only possible cause).

Either way, I think you're right, and I think that is what happened
here.

--
| Christopher
| Here I stand.  I can do no other.              |