Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: Vbulletin Forum Software - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: Vbulletin Forum Software
Date
Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: Vbulletin  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>)
Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: Vbulletin  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: Vbulletin Forum  ("Donnacha Mac Gloinn" <postgresql.org@donnacha.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:23:44PM -0800, Donnacha Mac Gloinn wrote:

> In a recent thread in the official vb forum
> (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97747&highlight=PostgreSQL),
> one Pgsql advocate sang its praises, in particular advanced indexing,
> and a vb developer, Scott MacVicar, responded "I love Postgresql too but
> they are missing a vital part that we've become dependant on..".  He
> then linked to the Pgsql ToDo list and indicated that the current lack
> of " Allow INSERT INTO tab (col1, ..) VALUES (val1, ..), (val2, ..)" was
> his bone of contention there.

You got to be kidding.  Are you saying that they can't work around the
lack of this SELECT syntax, but that they _did_ work around the lack of
stored procedures (and who knows what else) in MySQL?

Is there _no other_ feature they miss in PostgreSQL?

Anyway, if they want a feature, they can as well fund development of it.
INSERT with multiple values can't be that hard -- it's never been
implemented because there has been no real push for it.  I don't foresee
it being implemented in any short term future.

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"