Re: ECPG multiple INSERTS or SELECTS in one command? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: ECPG multiple INSERTS or SELECTS in one command?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 06:36:44PM -0500, wespvp@syntegra.com wrote:
> A (different) Pro*C program I recently ported from Oracle to PostgreSQL
> showed this difference.  In Pro*C you can load an array with rows to insert,
> then issue a single INSERT request passing it the array.  I believe the same
> thing applies to FETCH.  As far as I can tell, in PostgreSQL ecpg (or other)
> you have to execute one request per record.  The program SEGV'd all over the
> place when I tried to use the Pro*C array code.  I had to do a major rework
> of the code to remove the array logic.

That is for insert right? Batching inserts is tricky as there is no way
for ecpg to see if your array of 10 ints shall be inserted as 10 ints or
as one array.

With fetch on the other hand it should work the same as with Pro*C.
There is no problem to fetch into an array.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De