Re: Email data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Email data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 05:01:05PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> > a@foo.bar is syntactically valid. a@foo.invalid is
> > syntactically valid, but should be immediately rejected.
>
> I disagree - just because the database server cannot verify the the
> existence of a domain does not mean that it isn't valid. I think only
> addresses that are syntactically incorrect should be rejected.

I think you're missing the point. Go and take a glance at RFC 2606 -
it's a BCP which defines the .test, .invalid, .example and .localhost
TLDs.

Of course, some users may want to use .invalid email addresses in
their database, despite their being, by definition, invalid. It's
something that will vary depending on their needs.

Cheers, Steve