Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 17 May 2004, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 01:53:19 -0300,
>   "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> >
> > Not true ... you just have to fix your definition of what a feature is ...
> > a feature is an improvement to the system, whether it be new
> > functionality, or improved performance ... I consider the work Tom did on
> > the IN performance in 7.4 to have been a major feature, considering that
> > it made use of it *alot* more effective ...
>
> Personally, I found the 7.4 prebeta had a number of minor features that I
> wanted. So far I haven't seen many things of particular interest to me
> in 7.5. I haven't played with it yet, since there has been what appears
> to be some pretty significant changes in some fundemental parts of 7.5
> and as such there appears to be more risk than there was at this point in
> 7.4s release cycle.
>
> Based on what I read about several of the "big" projects, it seems like
> the difference between a June 1 beta and a July 1 beta is worth taking
> the extra month to have a better chance at getting some of these projects in.

Key words: "better chance" ... it doesn't mean that *any* of them will get
done even in that extra month, you are speculating that that one month
will make a difference.  Then, when that month is up, and nothing does
materialize (devil's advocate here), do we add another month to 'have a
better chance'?  Where does it end?

----