Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> The thing I like about the relative-path idea is that it actually
> improves and extends our existing ability to support multiple
> installs.  I wonder whether we could even allow PGDATA to default
> to a relative path (../data)?

Doesn't work very well when you install into /usr/bin ...

If we determine the default data directory off the configure option
--localstatedir then we can simply use the same mechanisms that have
been discussed for determining all the other directories at run time
relative to the binaries.