Re: Bulk updates/inserts - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: Bulk updates/inserts
Date
List pgsql-interfaces

> Is it currently possible to perform bulk
> updates/inserts via host arrays using ecpg?  If so,
> would someone mind showing me an example of the proper
> syntax as I can't seem to come up with something that
> the ecpg preprocessor likes.
>
> On a side note, if ecpg doesn't support bulk
> inserts/updates are there any plans for adding such
> support?  Is there anyway programmatically to get
> close to the same speed for inserts/updates as say the
> COPY command?
>
> Regards,
>
> Shelby Cain
>
> __________________________________

Doing bulk inserts via host arrays is not possible AFAICT.
I posted a similar request in February 2003.
See
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2003-02/msg00091.php

BTW, I don't see how a bulk update could be done.

There is a way to use COPY programmatically via libpq:

something like ...

PQexec("COPY xxx FROM stdin");
for (...)
{   sprintf(buf, "%d\t%d\t...\n",           values[0], values[1], ... values[n]);   PQputline(conn, buf);
}
PQputline(conn, "\\.\n");
PQendcopy(conn);

Regards, Christoph