Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and breakdown. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and breakdown.
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:11:38AM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:

> We get quite a few requests for a GUI on the lists too. Maybe we
> need to look at providing some pointers from the download page.

I was thinking, lately, of the possibility that what might really be
desirable to some people are big, honkin' packages of all the bells
and whistles.  The disadvantage I see is the utter folly of
downloading all that instead of the individual items.  But it'd put
an end to all the nonsense about "built in" gui, "built in"
replication, "built in" crypto, &c.  What's so "built in" about a
package you have to buy as an extra option (like hot backup in MySQL
or RAC in Oracle) anyway?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner