Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 18:00, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:11:38AM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
>
> > We get quite a few requests for a GUI on the lists too. Maybe we
> > need to look at providing some pointers from the download page.
>
> I was thinking, lately, of the possibility that what might really be
> desirable to some people are big, honkin' packages of all the bells
> and whistles.  The disadvantage I see is the utter folly of
> downloading all that instead of the individual items.  But it'd put

I don't think that is necessary. People don't see it as an integrated
package as those items simply do not exist within the postgresql.org
realm.

Goto postgresql.org and it takes a fair amount of work to find pgadmin
(downloads -- but you still don't know what it is), GIS, or others.

Contrast to Gnome, which many consider integrated despite being equally
small packages that make individual releases.
- Single FTP Site with all tarballs coinciding with recent release --
they're all individual, but it is a complete set of official packages
- Single place to report a bug
- Single location to find out about releases
- Consolidated release notes for all the most recent release of
sub-components
- Single source repository
- Package system (FreeBSD anyway) has packages like 'gnome2',
'gnome2-lite', 'gnome2-power-tools', 'gnome-fifth-toe' which are empty
packages with plenty of dependencies (those in the know can install
individial components -- those who don't know get a functional desktop
with some things they may not use installed)

PostgreSQL currently looks like a tiny core with many 3rd party addons,
which is true, but with a little elbow grease could be a tiny core with
many 1st party addons.

projects.postgresql.org is a big step in the right direction but more
integration (in particular getting the core into that system) is
important.

Is there anyway I can help get project.postgresql.org running?

--
Rod Taylor <rbt [at] rbt [dot] ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/signature.asc

Attachment