Re: [PERFORM] fsync method checking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: [PERFORM] fsync method checking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Note, too, that the preferred method isn't likely to depend just on the
> operating system, it's likely to depend also on the filesystem type
> being used.
>
> Linux provides quite a few of them: ext2, ext3, jfs, xfs, and reiserfs,
> and that's just off the top of my head.  I imagine the performance of
> the various syncing methods will vary significantly between them.

For what it's worth, my database throughput for transactions involving
a lot of inserts, updates, and deletes is about 12% faster using
fdatasync() than O_SYNC under Linux using JFS.

I'll run the test program and report my results with it as well, so
we'll be able to see if there's any consistency between it and the live
database.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com