Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Sync vs. fsync during checkpoint - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Sync vs. fsync during checkpoint
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Kevin Brown wrote:
>
> > I have no idea whether or not this approach would work in Windows.
>
> The win32 API has ReadFileScatter/WriteFileScatter, which was developed
> to handle these types of problems.  These two functions were added for
> the sole purpose of making SQL server run faster.  They are always
> asynchronous and are very efficient.  Perhaps the win32 port could just
> deal with the synchronization with an eye for future optimizations down
> the line?

The problem with the approach I described on win32 is that fast fork()s
are required for it to not significantly impact the running backends.
That is, fork() has to return quickly when called.  I don't know whether
the implementation of fork() under win32 would be fast enough for
this purpose.  It might be -- I don't have any experience with fork()
on win32 platforms so I can't say.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com