Re: PITR Dead horse? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PITR Dead horse?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon,

> I'd vote for a new list dedicated to discussing "Robustness" issues,
> such as PITR and the fsync/sync issues.<snip>
> The list probably would remain clearly differentiated, in the same way
> [Performance] covers lots of areas not discussed in [Hackers].

Actually, Simon, you're welcome to bring this discussion over to PERFORMANCE.
We discuss scalability and HA on Performance frequently, and I don't feel
that the discussion you refer to would be out of place.

But Tom is right that you need the feedback of a lot of the people on Hackers
once you start discussing a code solution, so there's not much point in
starting a new mailing list that all the same people need to subscribe to.
Certainly Jan had enough trouble getting meaningful feedback on the sync
issue here; on his own list he'd still be talking to himself.

As far as promoting an image of reliability, that belongs on Advocacy.   The
image and the reality don't sync much; we're already about 500% more reliable
than MS SQL Server but ask any ten CIOs what they think?   That's just
marketing.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco