Re: I can't upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.4 in RedHat 9.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martín Marqués
Subject Re: I can't upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.4 in RedHat 9.0
Date
List pgsql-general
El Lun 02 Feb 2004 14:47, Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:04:49PM -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> > Why not? I don' t see much difference from other distributions, and at the
> > end, if you want a real server you have to go through all the
configuration
> > to make sure it's going to have good performaces.
>
> Fedora Core releases have too short a lifetime, by definition.  You
> don't want to be upgrading your servers every 6 months, do you?  I'd
> prefer something that gives me some more time before I have to consider
> it obsolete.  RHEL is a good example; I think they give you 3 years, 5
> for RHAS (is this right?).  Debian, Mandrake, FreeBSD o OpenBSD give me
> a lot more confidence than FC because of this.

Well, one thing is for sure: It has to short of a life time. :-)

Anyway, even if they did say that the intention was to have three releases a
year, I can't imagine them even been able to make two. FC1 came by beginning
of November, and even if they have said there will be a second release in
May, I doubt they are going to make it before July.

Anyway I have to see how the upgrades perform, because depending on that is
how bad an idea it is to upgrade each 6 months (RedHat had some bad upgrade
issues in the past).

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA