Re: Will Open Source be forced to go Proprietary - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Will Open Source be forced to go Proprietary
Date
Re: Will Open Source be forced to go Proprietary  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>As is MySQL.  They say you can't produce a non-GPL client that talks to
> >>their server via the protocol.  They say they will enforce this via
> >>patents.
> >>

> Uhhh perhaps we should verify this first?

I think this does:

    http://www.edwardbear.org/serendipity/archives/1193_My_Beef_with_MySQLs_License.html

It includes an analysis from PHP's Sterling saying that MySQL
interpretation that anything that "depends" on MySQL prevents such a
client, and quotes from MySQL's CEO.