Re: A cohesive sales message - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: A cohesive sales message
Date
Re: A cohesive sales message
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Absolutely.   The posters are easy from a *content* perspective; all
> it requires is a logo & name and our motto ("The world's most
> advanced Open Source database").   Aside from the design, our main
> challenge is deciding how many languages to do posters in.

Once a poster in any language is done, it should be easy to replicate it
on some other language, I think.

> Ideally, I'd like to find a way to condense things down to two
> "packages" -- a "geek" and a "non-geek" package.

I think this approach is not ideal.

At the large expositions over here (LinuxTag and LinuxWorld), the crowd
is very mixed.  You can't take one approach or the other.  In fact,
even if you take the approach of being as business-like as possible,
the suits might dislike that because then you're just like the other
commercial guys.  If they come all the way to a LinuxFoo event, they
want to see a little bit of that spirit.  Those that can't comprehend a
message if it is not full of buzzwords won't go there anyway -- they
will send some IT guy who has a clue.

The challenge and the mission is to find and follow that middle ground.
If think the 7.4 press release did that very well.  It got picked up by
publications across the whole spectrum and no one complained that it
was too vague or too detailed.  At LinuxTag we distributed a flyer that
was very successful with the whole audience, and that one also struck a
good balance.

In fact, the whole concept of a "geek" audience is kind of suspect
anyway.  A true geek will go to the web site and find out about the
product directly.

Let's just market to normal people, because that is the biggest market.