Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
List pgsql-general
This has been an interesting thread, with lots of well
considered contributions.  The consensus seems to be
"PostgreSQL is plenty good enough and more, we just
need more people to know it, and an easier learning
path".

What bothers me a little here is an apparent lack of
awareness of the work of the Advocacy Group.  They
have been organized for a little over one full release
cycle, but have already begun to achieve some
impressive things.  The release of version 7.4 saw a
well prepared press release, which was subsequently
picked up by journalists and featured (often lifted
word for word) in articles in a variety of IT industry
publications around the world.  The effect was to get
our marketing material in front of the eyes of many
readers, without them having to go looking for it at
all.  When did that happen before?

I cite that as just one example of what can be
achieved by an organized and co-ordinated approach,
which is just what the Advocacy Group is working on.
The scope for more development along these lines is
huge, all that is needed is the passage of time, and
hopefully more contributions from more people.  I
recommend to all those whose interest was caught by
this thread to check out the pgsql-advocacy list, if
you have not already done so, and think about what you
might be able to add.  In answer to the obvious
question, I have been lurking on that list for a
while, and intend to make a contribution where I feel
fitted to do so.

Maybe we need to invent some new solutions, but for
advocacy at least, we already have one.